|

Shingle Springs woman survives snakebite

While Terri Kalem cleared away weeds as tall as a foot-and-a-half  from her garden at her Shingle Springs on the cool morning of June 5, she took her left glove off to wipe her brow before getting back to work with her loppers. But when she crouched down to grab the base of weeks she nicked her middle finger on her left hand on the vegetation … or so she thought.

Then Kalem spotted the snake coiled in the weeds.

“No one was ever more shocked,” Kalem, 59, said. “It was perfectly coiled. I was just shocked. I was 60 percent sure it was a rattlesnake.”

She described the snake as about as thick as her thumb and coiled about four times, but she could not see a head or tail. Having learned from a friend who is a rattlesnake hunter, she determined that it was indeed a rattlesnake, and that it wasn’t a baby. “It was just sunning itself, just protecting itself.”

“(I) dropped what I was doing and flew to the house,” Kalem recalled later thinking that her two cats outside could have been bitten too.

She planned to have her son Joey take her to Marshall Hospital but when she called the hospital and said she would be there within 10 minutes and would not wait for an ambulance the dispatcher informed her, “That’s not how it’s done.” Kalem debated with the dispatcher before she finally relented. She was told to hang up the phone and that 911 would call her. “I was told to sit down. My adrenaline was at 1,000 percent. I was hysterical. It would have made America’s Funniest Home Videos,” she said.

Within seven minutes, the bitten finger had doubled in size. At 20 minutes, when the ambulance arrived, her fingers and palms were swollen. The paramedics marked the top of her palm to measure any more swelling and told her to stay still. “I was yelling ‘Joey, get my camera.’ I wasn’t allowed any cameras, though.” Instead, she got an IV.

“I was making jokes,” she said about the ambulance ride. “My hand and arm were feeling OK. But it was the longest trip to the hospital. I could see out the back window, and I realized all the cars were pulling over for me.”

When Kalem arrived at the hospital and stood up a wave of nausea hit her. A handful of nurses met her and provided “really, really good care,” including oxygen. “There was a tingling in my lips; it was unmistakable. It was in my nose. My eyes were playing tricks,” she said.

Kalem was hit with more waves of nausea. “It was coming and going,” she said. She was preoccupied by her senses, but the nurses placated her. “‘It’s OK, you are in good hands,’ they said. The pain level was not there.” Her rattlesnake-hunting friend had recounted that others felt excruciating pain, but she did not. “I’ve had worse pain through pricks from roses.”

A surgeon tended to Kalem and took her to the Intensive Care Unit. She was warned she could die, but she declined to hear what else could occur. “I didn’t want to know what could happen to my blood,” she explained, adding that she later found out the poison affects the blood’s clotting factor and thins the blood; rattlesnake bite victims are not discharged until the clotting factor is back to an acceptable level.

Kalem was given the 16 vials of anti-venom, the maximum allowed. Each vial would cost her insurance company $2,000. The poison had only reached up to her shoulder, but in the days following treatment she said her arm “felt paralyzed. It felt like my fingers were being bent back, that kind of pain.” Her muscles were also sore from the poison and when she woke up her middle finger were swollen but it would be fine by mid-morning. “In the end it feels like there’s a tourniquet on it.”

At a follow-up medical staff told Kalem she should try not to get bitten again, as victims who are bitten a second time by rattlesnakes often have an allergic reaction to additional anti-venom treatments. She was also warned that the side effects of the treatment would likely not present themselves for five or six weeks.

“I’m so thankful,” Kalem said. “I sometimes step back and wonder if it really happened.”

It could have ended differently, though. “If I was bit in another place …” she trailed off. “They can strike up to 10 1/2 times their length, and my head was really close to it.”

Unfortunately Kalem couldn’t get her revenge on the snake that bit her. She had a rattlesnake hunter go through her yard and clear out any areas a snake was likely to hide in, but no snakes were found. “I wanted to eat that snake,” she said. laughing.

Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=22807

This story falls on page "2"
Posted by on Jun 28 2012.
Last Login: Wed Apr 23 19:21:13 2014
Filed under Cameron Park Life. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Recently Commented

  • Dean Kofford: The reason I live here is the quality of life and the environment. We have the choices of either...
  • John Kerhlikar: The best solution is to get supervisor Serna to vote NO on the expansion. We only need one more NO to...
  • Upset: If this goes forward, I will sell my home in EDH. As it is now we are disrupted daily with numerous low flying...
  • Ellen: You did a great job on this, Julie. Excellent. I hear so little talk of this, but so many people are effected!...
  • Paul Morris: Alexis did an amazing job providing direct support to my daughter who is a victim of stalking and...