Broadway-themed gala to benefit Music Circus
SACRAMENTO — The Broadway Gala, California Musical Theatre’s annual fundraising dinner, takes place on Saturday, May 3, at Sacramento Memorial Auditorium, 1515 J St. in Sacramento.
Memorial Auditorium will be elegantly decorated for the evening with a New York Broadway theme.
The event will benefit California Musical Theatre, the nonprofit organization that presents top quality theatrical experiences through Music Circus and Broadway Sacramento, and provides valuable arts education programs for the Sacramento region through the CMT Academy. The Broadway Gala chair is Julie Sloat. Master of Ceremonies for the evening is Dennis Mangers.
The Black Tie Optional event begins with a cocktail reception at 6 p.m. followed by an elegant dinner at 7 p.m.
Live entertainment features Broadway star and Music Circus alum Zonya Love, who played the role of Celie in “The Color Purple” on Broadway. She has also starred in national touring and regional theater productions of a number of hit shows, including “Hairspray,” “Avenue Q” and “Blues in the Night,” as well as in the popular Music Circus productions of “The Wizard of Oz” (2013), “Les Misérables” (2007) and “Kiss Me Kate” (2007).
The gala event also features a special performance by a children’s choir of alums from the educational programs offered through the California Musical Theatre Academy. The popular band Hip Service will close the evening with a rousing dance set.
The evening will include a live auction with David Sobon Auctions, with proceeds benefitting California Musical Theatre. Auction items include:
- Tony Awards weekend for two in New York City, including tickets to the 68th Annual Tony Awards at Radio City Music Hall, airfare and three nights in the luxurious Michelangelo Hotel.
- A “Wicked Evening for Ten,” including an exclusive dining experience at the historic Governor’s Mansion, catered by Sacramento favorite Lucca Restaurant and Bar, plus 10 tickets to “Wicked” at Community Center Theater.
- Opportunity to join the cast of “Mary Poppins” at Music Circus for a walk-on role in one performance.
- Cooking class, gourmet French dinner and elegant overnight accommodations for six at the award-winning Ramekins Culinary School, Events & Inn in Sonoma.
- Elegant four-course wine dinner for 20 onstage at Community Center Theater with Music Circus actors. Following dinner, guests will enjoy the Music Circus production of the Broadway hit “La Cage Aux Folles” at Wells Fargo Pavilion.
- Party for 20 with cast members from the Music Circus production of “Mary Poppins,” including tickets to the performance.
- Original oil painting by acclaimed Sacramento artist Tim Collom, who was recently recognized by the Sacramento Bee as “a local art phenom” and was awarded the Best in Show at the September KVIE art auction.
The title sponsor of The Broadway Gala is Chevron. Presenting Sponsor is GTECH. Supporting Sponsors are Anheuser-Busch, VSP and Neil and Joanne Bodine.
Tickets are $300 and a table of 10 is $3,000. Sponsorship opportunities are also available. For more information or to make reservations, call (916) 446-5880, ext. 123, or visit CaliforniaMusicalTheatre.com.