Railroad museum to debut ‘Journey Stories’
SACRAMENTO – California State Parks and the California State Railroad Museum are proud to be the first institution in California to debut a Smithsonian traveling exhibition titled “Journey Stories” on June 21.
With the use of compelling photographs, visual display panels, narrative text and more, the “Journey Stories” exhibition highlights how transportation and migration helped build the United States, how it has changed us as a nation and how our mobile world looked to travelers along the way. The exhibition also demonstrates our collective personal heritage and how everyone has an interesting story to tell.
As an added component while “Journey Stories” is on display in Sacramento, the California State Railroad Museum will contribute to the exhibition by showcasing 12 vibrant and visually-exciting original railroad travel posters from the museum’s impressive collection. Railroad museum visitors will see how our transportation history is more than trains, boats, buses, cars, wagons and trucks, and will learn how the development of transportation technology was largely inspired by the human drive for freedom.
Perfectly timed for the summer months when travel is a hot topic for Californians, “Journey Stories” will be on display on the museum’s main floor in the Cab Forward corridor for just over three months. After leaving the California State Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento State Historic Park, the exhibition will travel to six other museums throughout California.
“Journey Stories” California schedule
- June 21 through Sept. 28: California State Railroad Museum, Sacramento
- Oct. 5 through Nov. 16: Heritage Museum of Orange County, Santa Ana
- Nov. 23 though Jan. 4, 2015: La Quinta Museum, La Quinta
- Jan. 11 through March 8, 2015: Museum on Main Street, Pleasanton
- March 15 through April 26, 2015: Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum, Mount Shasta
- May 3 through June 26, 2015: Community Memorial Museum, Yuba City
- July 5 through Aug. 16, 2015: Gateway Science Museum, Chico
For more information about the California State Railroad Museum call (916) 323-9280 or visit csrmf.org. For more information about the Smithsonian’s Museum on Main Street program or “Journey Stories” exhibition visit museumonmainstreet.org/journeyStories.