|

Attic fire destroys EDH home

Firefighters douse flames in a Reem Court home's attic. Falling roof tiles prevented crews from battling the blaze inside the home. Village Life photo by Pat Dollins
Firefighters douse flames in a Reem Court home's attic. Falling roof tiles prevented crews from battling the blaze inside the home. Village Life photo by Pat Dollins

Firefighters threatened by a collapsing roof and falling tiles had to retreat from a burning Reem Court home Tuesday afternoon.

No one was injured in the blaze that destroyed the¬†Highland View neighborhood residence. At 1:05 p.m. El Dorado Hills Fire received the call after the family, two adults and four children, noticed smoke coming out of the vents, according to Deputy Chief Jim O’Camb. Minutes later Engine 84 arrived and firefighters spotted “significant smoke” pouring out of the roof’s eaves. The crew was soon joined by fellow El Dorado Hills firefighters as well as some from Latrobe and Folsom; however, the fire wasn’t ready to surrender.

“About three minutes into the call the roof started collapsing,” O’Camb said. To fight attic fires, he explained, firefighters typically go into the home and pull down the ceiling but when heavy roof tiles began falling, they had to leave the home and take a defensive position, pouring water into the home from the outside. Firefighters had flames under control in about 30 minutes and crews stayed at the home for several hours dousing flare ups.

They were able to retrieve some of the family’s belongings from a sub-level room but the main part of the home is a more than likely a total loss due to smoke and water damage, O’Camb added.

Fire investigators point to a fireplace insert’s metal chimney as the fire’s likely cause. At this point they don’t know if chimney failure, installation or another factor is to blame, O’Camb said. The homeowner did tell investigators he regularly cleaned the fireplace and chimney.

This is the second El Dorado Hills residential structure fire in a week. An Aldea Drive home’s garage and above-garage room were destroyed in a Nov. 6 fire.

Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=26794

This story falls on page "4"
Posted by on Nov 15 2012.
Last Login: Thu Oct 30 15:17:33 2014
Filed under Feature Photos, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Recently Commented

  • Daniel Curtis: Nicely rebutted from a Realtor who has nothing to gain but monetary commissions on additional home...
  • M.D.: The article in today’s Bee outlines the corrupt developers plans and where they want the rezones for tens...
  • Mr. Informed: The county DOT web site has traffic counts for the same location and the 2004 counts were 1408 for am...
  • Mr. Informed: The county DOT web site has traffic counts for the same location and the 2004 counts were 1408 for am...
  • Ann: I’m thrilled to have seen Alexis come so far! I met her during my employment with El Dorado County...