|

Don’t be alarmed: Firefighters, volunteers make homes safe

Firefighter/paramedic James Sommercamp and Interact Club members Alana Hankins and Vicky Findlay get ready to canvass a neighborhood, installing and educating residents about smoke detectors and CO detectors. VIllage Life photo by Noel Stack
Firefighter/paramedic James Sommercamp and Interact Club members Alana Hankins and Vicky Findlay get ready to canvass a neighborhood, installing and educating residents about smoke detectors and CO detectors. VIllage Life photo by Noel Stack

Marina Village residents got a nice wake-up call Saturday as El Dorado Hills firefighters and volunteers with the Rotary Club of El Dorado Hills and Oak Ridge’s Interact Club canvassed the neighborhood, installing smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors for anyone who wanted them — free of charge.

The event is part of the long-standing partnership between EDH Fire and Rotary.

“It’s nice for the community to see us out and about and make them aware of smoke detectors and CO detectors,” said firefighter/paramedic James Sommercamp.

Many residents warmly welcomed the teams into their homes.

“It’s fantastic,” said resident Michone Worsley, “especially when you bring the batteries.”

Residents James Brown and Tania Trujillo-Brown gladly accepted three new smoke detectors and a CO detector in their rental home. “We though one was enough,” Tania said. After Sommercamp installed detectors in the bedrooms the Browns shook his hand, saying that this free service is encouraging and really helps out in this economy.

Every year fire officials select a new neighborhood to canvass. This year about 280 homes were on the list, according to EDH Fire Chief Dave Roberts. The chief said volunteers didn’t hand out as many smoke detectors and batteries as in years past and commended Marina Village residents for being fire safe on their own.

Fire Marshal Brad Ballenger advises that homeowners have a smoke detector in every sleeping area and in the main living area and one CO detector between the sleeping area and the possible source of carbon monoxide.

Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=25949

This story falls on page ""
Posted by on Oct 16 2012.
Last Login: Thu Nov 13 16:17:03 2014
Filed under Featured Stories, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Recently Commented

  • Doug Hus: When our water rates go up for EVERY OTHER REASON (like they have been), we will have Coco, George and...
  • M.D.: Not to worry, I am sure the government will buy this project when it sits empty for low income housing to make...
  • been there: the EDSO already has an operating facility at the end of industrial dr. I was arrested on trumped up...
  • Bob Summers: Hi Julie, First the folks at our Unveiling Common Core are not the authors of the standard, they were on...
  • M.D.: The voters will most likely reject a big bond proposal with the county budget in disarray. There are ways to do...