Fall back and change your smoke detector batteryWarning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /www/villagelife.com/html/wp-includes/option.php on line 85
CAMINO – Fall back Saturday night and don’t forget to set all of your clocks and watches back one hour before you go to bed. Enjoy the extra hour on Sunday but most importantly don’t forget to change the batteries in your smoke alarms, reminds Chief Bill Holmes of the Amador-El Dorado-Sacramento-Alpine Unit of Cal Fire.
“Sixty-six percent of fire deaths in homes occur in homes that either do not have smoke alarms or do not have working smoke alarms” he explained. “This is a no-brainer; it is the cheapest insurance to safe guard you and your family in the event your home catches on fire. A working smoke alarm greatly increases your chance of surviving a house fire”.”
Smoke Alarm Tips:
- Install smoke alarms in each bedroom.
- Install smoke alarms outside each sleeping area.
- Install smoke alarms on each level of your home including the basement.
- If you have children consider purchasing the smoke alarms with recordable voice announcements.
- If you or someone in your home is hearing impaired, there are specialized smoke alarms systems available.
- Make sure all the alarms are linked so that when one goes off they all go off.
- Test your smoke alarms once a month.
- Clean smoke alarms by vacuuming them. This removes dust and bugs that can cause them to malfunction
If you are a senior or disabled resident of El Dorado County, stop by your local fire department to make an appointment for them to check your smoke alarm(s). They will change your battery or, if necessary, they will replace your smoke detector free of charge.
For additional fire and life safety tips visit www.fire.ca.gov.
Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=727This story falls on page ""