Girl Scouts learn about nature
This summer Girl Scouts of El Dorado Hills, Service Unit 151, hosted at three-day weekend Camporee at Sly Park. The following activities were included:
• “How to Build a Campfire” (Hosted by Denise Rice from Placerville Ranger Station-El Dorado National Forest, Forest Service volunteers and Smokey Bear. Joan McNamara, forest fuels officer, El Dorado National Forest arranged this team.)
• “Evening Sky Search” (Hosted by Andera Jukes, volunteer from the Community Observatory in Placerville)
• “Survival Kits to Bring with You for Camping” (Hosted by Bob Williams from El Dorado County Search and Rescue)
• “Compasses and Orienteering” (Hosted by Cathy Anderson-Meyers from REI)
• “Backpack Art, Star Search Wheels and Angel Necklaces (Hosted by Girl Scout Troop 850)
• “Nature Walk” (Hosted by Girl Scout Troop 1564)
• “Games” (Hosted by Girl Scout Troop 1848)
• “First Aid Kits” (Hosted by Girl Scout Troop 918)
Fourteen troops from Cameron Park, El Dorado Hills, Folsom and Georgetown participated. Girl Scouts of all ages were represented from age 5 to adults.
Diana Fenske and Tina Woods coordinated the event.