Green Springs Ranch is one of the oldest documented pioneer settlements in El Dorado County, according to the Rescue Historical Society, which traces the community’s roots to Rufus Hitchcock’s Green Springs House — an inn and supply stop established in 1848 along the Old Coloma Road, a portion of which is still visible from the entrance.
William Dormody, a successful merchant and native of County Kilkenny, Ireland, purchased the approximately 1,000-acre Green Springs Ranch at auction in 1854 for $6,400. The ranch became a popular respite for travelers and a destination for weddings and other festivities.
In an early example of El Dorado Hills fortitude, the 60-year old Dormody took an 18-year-old bride in 1856 and proceeded to father eight children. Howard Greehalgh purchased the ranch from the Dormody estate in 1956 and subdivided it in 1976, leaving the Green Springs Ranch rural development on one of the largest parcels.