Handcar Derby pushes you to the limit
If you haven’t started training … get moving before your chance to compete in the Folsom Handcar Derby goes zipping by.
The annual event hosted by the Folsom, El Dorado & Sacramento Historical Railroad Association and the Sacramento Valley Railroad takes place on April 30 (time trials) and May 1 (race day) with a practice session scheduled from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 23. Mandatory practice, time trials and safety orientations must be completed before Sunday’s final events
In addition to handcar racing, gandy walk and handcar tug of war this year’s event will also feature quadripede racing with the only known quadripede racer in the world. The event on East Bidwell in front of Broadstone Marketplace occur rain or shine.
The entry fee is $25 per person with five members (four pumpers and one pusher) required for each team. Al team members must be at least 18 years old. The first 20 teams entered receive a 20th annual Folsom handcar Derby T-shirt. Team categories are as follows:
- Open: (anyone, male or female) Teams will be divided into weight categories in open division. (There are multiple weight categories in the Open Division.)
- Co-ed: (At least two pumpers must be women)
- Women’s: (All women entrants)
- Masters: (All must be 40 years old or older )
- Seniors: (All must be 60 years old or older)
- Elite: Elite Women and Elite Masters
All entries must be at the derby site by April 30. All proceeds benefit the F.E.D.S. Historical Railroad Association Inc., a non-profit 501c(3) organization.
For more information visit fedshra.org/handcar.html or call Gary at (916) 474-0461.
Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=6708This story falls on page ""