Kitchen fire sparks at Sienna
A fire in the ventilation system of the wood-fired pizza oven cost Sienna Restaurant its lunch Friday morning.
El Dorado Hills firefighters arrived at 10:30 a.m. to find smoke billowing out a vent behind the restaurant, according to Battalion Chief John Niehues. Truck 85’s ladder was quickly raised, hovering over the restaurant in case the fire got into that attic.
The fire was limited to the ductwork, and quickly burned itself out, with help from a fire suppression system that dumped fire retardant on the pizza oven, an adjacent fryer and a stove.
The main kitchen was untouched, according to Niehues. The smaller pizza kitchen is located in the center of the building, behind the bar.
The fire got momentum because of the length of the ductwork between the pizza kitchen and the back of the building, he said. No water was discharged.
Other than light smoke in the air, the balance of the restaurant was unharmed, said Niehues.
PG&E crews restored power, much to the delight of on-duty restaurant manager Mary Young, following an inspection of the attic area by firefighters.
Division Chief Brad Ballenger got an county Environmental Management employee on the phone, and arranged an afternoon inspection to clear the restaurant to be reopened for dinner.
“This is a big weekend for us,” Young said. “Even if we can’t get open for lunch, we don’t won’t to miss the Valentine’s weekend.”
Young said she was grateful for the quick response from El Dorado Hills firefighters, and for Ballenger helping get clearance to reopen as soon as possible. Sienna got the all clear before Friday’s dinner rush.
Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=4250This story falls on page ""