Spots open for COOL School
The Rescue Union School District is accepting applications for the Rescue COOL School Virtual Academy for the 2014-15 school year.
The COOL School is an innovative, online, independent study program for students in grades three through eight. The program’s 21st century technology engages students by offering differentiation through individual learning plans and by promoting subject mastery.
The COOL School is a tuition-free, public, independent study education alternative offered through RUSD. The online curriculum is rigorous, media-rich and designed to engage your child at his or her academic level. All coursework is aligned to the California State Standards and delivered online, in partnership with Odysseyware, a national learning management system.
Who can benefit from independent study?
- Families desiring home school options
- Students who would benefit from an alternative to the traditional classroom
- Gifted students who wish to accelerate
- Students who face particular challenges such as health issues
- Students who need an individualized approach to fill in gaps in their learning
- Students desiring to delve more deeply into areas of special interest
- Students who miss school due to activities that impact attendance on a regular basis such as extreme sports or modeling
Benefits to students include:
- Free, alternative public education for home-schooled students
- Personalized learning plans
- Flexible schedules and program options
- A one-on-one relationship with the Learning Center teacher
- Online coursework is completed at home with the help of a parent/guardian
- Students have access to all district programs and resources such as band, physical education, visual and performing arts, extra- curricular programs, libraries and counselors
- Frequent opportunities for social connections through our field trips and blended learning model
- Certificated teacher monitors individual student progress
- Grading completed by the online system and the teacher
Students participating in the COOL School can choose from two different options:
- Blended Online Learning Program: A blended face-to-face and interactive online program where students complete their core curriculum online at home and attend classes in a small school setting two days a week, for 2 to 2 ½ hours per day under the supervision of a highly qualified, certificated teacher. Classroom instruction focuses on hands-on science activities, writing, literature, test taking skills, project based learning, robotics, and individual areas of student need.
- Independent Online Learning Program: Students choosing this option will complete their coursework online at home. A credentialed teacher will continually monitor student progress and individualize their learning plan accordingly. Students and parents will meet with the teacher on a bi-weekly basis to discuss progress and his or her learning goals.
An information night will be held at the COOL School Learning Center, 2240 Sailsbury Drive in El Dorado Hills, on Wednesday, April 23, at 6 p.m. To RSVP eimail Kelly Brancoli at email@example.com. For more information visit RescueCOOLSchool.org.
Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=39070This story falls on page "9"