Submit entry forms now for the El Dorado County Fair
PLACERVILLE — Whether your peach cobbler is the best on the block, your pig the plumpest in the barn, or your web design simply “stellar,” now’s the time to submit your entry form to participate in the 2014 El Dorado County Fair.
Dozens of categories offer participants the chance to showcase nearly every imaginable talent at this year’s fair, coming June 12 through Father’s Day, June 15. Most competitions are open to the public, with a completed entry form submitted to the El Dorado County Fair by Saturday, May 10, for livestock and Wednesday, May 21, for most other categories. Submissions must be delivered to the Fair in June; receiving dates vary with details outlined in the 2014 Entry Guide.
“We’re as excited as ever to welcome entries to the 2014 El Dorado County Fair, just as we have nearly every year since 1859!,” said the Fair’s CEO, Jody Gray. “It’s thrilling to think about all the unique talents displayed at the Fair during those many decades and to see how the Fair has remained the same at its heart and yet evolved over time. Categories such as horsemanship and breeding cattle hark back to the County’s ranching and agricultural roots and remain strong today. And newer categories, such as blogging and computer art, reflect how our community has changed along with the world around us. Every year, I’m amazed by the abundance of talent we have in El Dorado County. I can’t wait to see what 2014 reveals!”
New competitions to display your special talents this year include Home Brewing, for beer makers (completed form and beer due on May 2), and a special photo competition in honor of the 150th Commemoration of the California State Parks. The fair encourages photo buffs of all levels to participate, entry forms are due by May 21 and photo submissions, which depict the special beauty and character of our state parks, are due by June 2.
Anyone may compete for ribbons, trophies and a share of cash awards offered during the fair’s open competitions. Some categories are restricted to 4-H and FFA participants and there are a few exceptions to the May 10 and May 21 deadlines, which are outlined in the Entry Guide. All youth submissions are free with entry forms submitted by the deadline, and fees to enter most other categories are minimal with entry by the deadline. Late entries are accepted for some categories with an additional fee. The 2014 Entry Guide contains rules, entry forms and guidelines for each competitive category and contest. Free guides are available online at eldoradocountyfair.org and at the fair office.
How to enter the 2014 El Dorado County Fair:
• Consider dozens of opportunities to participate by viewing the Entry Guide online at eldoradocountyfair.org or at the fair office.
• Complete entry forms for the categories in which you would like to participate.
• Submit your entry forms and fees to the Fair office by 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 10, for livestock and 4 p.m. on Wednesday, May 21, for most other categories (exceptions are specified in the entry guide). Entry forms may be mailed or delivered to the fair office. (Late entries accepted for some categories with a higher entry fee, see the Entry Guide for details).
• Bring your entry to the fair by the receiving date listed in the Entry Guide
• South Lake Tahoe Residents may drop off entry forms and entries at the South Lake Tahoe Library the week of May 12 during library hours (Tuesday through Saturday). Visit eldoradoeountyfair.org for exceptions, such as flower and plant entries and baked items, which must be delivered to the fair on their respective receiving days.
The 2014 El Dorado County Fair, themed “Photos, Fathers & Fair,” will take place Thursday, June 12, through Father’s Day, Sunday, June 15, in Placerville. This year marks the 75th anniversary of the fair in its current location and the 155th anniversary of the first documented fair held in 1859 in Coloma.
For more information visit eldoradocountyfair.org, call the fair office at (530) 621-5860 or stop by 100 Placerville Drive in Placerville.