Tylar Witt to testify Wednesday

TYLAR WITT is led into the courtoom Tuesday. Her testimony was put over to Wednesday after here defense attorney called in sick Tuesday. Village Life photo by Shelly Thorene
TYLAR WITT is led into the courtoom Tuesday. Her testimony was put over to Wednesday after here defense attorney called in sick Tuesday. Village Life photo by Shelly Thorene

Another day, another delay.

The murder trial of 21-year-old Steven “Boston” Colver was postponed yet again Tuesday morning.

This most recent delay came on the heels of Thursday’s abbreviated hearing, during which the testimony of Colver’s former lover, 16-year-old Tylar Marie Witt, was continued before she ever took the witness stand because of concerns over new DNA evidence.

Last year, Tylar pleated guilty to the first-degree murder of her mother, 47-year-old Joanne Witt, as part of a deal with prosecutors.

Tylar was initially set to begin her testimony Tuesday morning, but an unforeseen absence by her public defender pushed her appearance back to Wednesday morning, ending Tuesday’s proceedings.

El Dorado County Superior Court Judge Daniel B. Proud apologized to jurors for the inconvenience.

“There are some things that are just out of our control,” he said.

The day was not a total loss, though, as the court was able to tentatively schedule some upcoming hearings.

Colver’s defense attorney, Dain Weiner, will argue against the inclusion of the DNA evidence responsible for prematurely ending Thursday’s hearing.

Prosecutors will likely rest their case on June 7. Weiner told the court he would be prepared to call his first witness immediately after.

Despite the recent delays, Judge Proud told jurors he was hopeful to have closing statements on June 14.

Steven Colver is accused of killing Joanne Witt while she slept in her El Dorado Hills home on June 12, 2009. Autopsy reports showed Witt was stabbed more than 20 times.

Prosecutors say Colver and Tylar plotted Joanne Witt’s death because she disapproved of the teens’ relationship and had filed a complaint against Colver for the statutory rape of her daughter.

Colver has maintained his innocence. During opening statements his attorney told jurors that Tylar Witt acted alone in killing her mother.

Shortly after the murder, the young couple fled to San Francisco, where they had planned on committing suicide. But they were picked up by San Bruno police on June 17, 2009.

If convicted, Colver could face 25 years to life in prison. If Tylar fully cooperates with prosecutors, her first-degree murder conviction will be reduced to a second-degree count and she will face a 15 years to life sentence.


Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=8171

This story falls on page ""
Posted by on May 31 2011.
Last Login:
Filed under Feature Photos, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Recently Commented

  • best joomla hosting uk: the location of the web host all play with a role, methods you will get, consistency, uptime,...
  • pitbike: My brother suggested I may like this blog. He used to be entirely right. This submit actually made my day....
  • water ionizer: Once the water gets ionized in the water ionizer, the alkaline property of water is enhanced. What you...
  • smijesni klipovi: Simply desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity for your put up is simply nice and i...
  • ron: Excellent story, Where can we go to see them now? Lake of Pines? How to get there? Thanks Ron