Upgrade to clean the air
Get funds from the Chimney Smoke Reduction Incentive Program
The El Dorado County Air Quality Management District will reimburse $500 to $600 plus the cost of a building permit (if required) through the Chimney Smoke RIP for qualifying woodstove or fireplace removal or replacements.
The U.S. Environmental Protection agency estimates replacing a non-certified stove with an EPA-certified stove will reduce up to 100 pounds of particulate matter emissions each year and removing one is like removing five old diesel buses.
• You must receive pre-approval from AQMD prior to applying for building permit.
• Old woodstove/fireplace must not be an EPA certified unit.
• New unit must be EPA-certified, or use new or existing propane, natural gas or electricity appliance.
• Must be applicant’s primary residence in El Dorado County (no rentals, second homes, etc).
• Home must be more than one year old (no new home construction).
• Documentation confirming removed device is permanently deactivated.
• Building permit (if applicable) for the woodstove/fireplace removal or changeout with inspection.
Reimbursement checks will be issued directly to the approved applicants on a first-come first-serve basis, until funding is depleted. (Expect one month for processing payment). Additional terms and conditions apply. To learn more and apply visit edcgov.us/AirQualityManagement and click on “Grants / Incentives” on left menu or call AQMD at (530) 621-7501.