Cook for your heartWarning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /www/villagelife.com/html/wp-includes/option.php on line 85
The American Heart Association makes the following recommendations
- Stock up on heart-healthy cookbooks and recipes for cooking ideas.
- Use “choice” or “select” grades of beef rather than “prime,” and be sure to trim the fat off the edges before cooking.
- Use cuts of red meat and pork labeled “loin” and “round,” as they usually have the least fat.
- With poultry, use the leaner light meat (breasts) instead of the fattier dark meat (legs and thighs), and be sure to remove the skin.
- Make recipes or egg dishes with egg whites, instead of egg yolks. Substitute two egg whites for each egg yolk.
- For recipes that require dairy products, try low-fat or fat-free versions of milk, yogurt and cheese.
- Use reduced-fat, low-fat, light or no-fat salad dressings (if you need to limit your calories) on salads, for dips or as marinades.
- Use and prepare foods that contain little or no salt.
Short URL: http://www.villagelife.com/?p=9753This story falls on page ""