The Oak Ridge track athletes competed very well at the Bronco Distance Carnival on March 22 at Bella Vista High School. Despite the cool and windy conditions for the majority of the meet, quite a few of the Oak Ridge athletes obtained personal bests. Thirty-one schools competed in this very competitive meet.
Below are relay teams and individuals who placed in the top six. The top three relay teams received medals and the top six finishers in individual events received medals.
• Frosh/Soph Boys Distance Medley Team: Josh Gladwell, Bret McNamee, Jean-Yves Diei, Kyle Kauffman, 6th place, 12:17.34.
• Varsity Girls Distance Medley Team: Maddie DeZordo, Sabrina Andrus, Mikhayla Polivka, Rachel Peterson, 5th place, 13:39.80.
• Varsity Boys Distance Medley Team: Marcos Conde, Colin Pilcher, Zach Thornton, Evan Baxter, 5th place, 11:13.78.
• Josh Gladwell earned 2nd place, 2:08.54, in the Frosh/Soph Boys 800 meter run. It was a close finish; Sam Neptune of Granite Bay placed 1st with a time of 2:08.03.
• Rachel Peterson won 2nd place, 11:24.55, in the Varsity Girls 3,200 meter run. The was also very close finish; Miranda Myers of St. Francis placed 1st with a time of 11:24.32.
Some Oak Ridge athletes will compete at the Stanford Track and Field Invitational on March 29 & 30. Ellie Velez and Maddie DeZordo will be the first competitors for Oak Ridge in the girls 3.000 meter run on Friday. Dusty Armstrong (3,000 meter run) and Zach Youngberg (400 meter hurdles) will also compete that day.
Oak Ridge has 10 entries in individual events and seven relay teams registered for the Stanford Invitational. High school track and field athletes throughout the state and outside of the state will be competing at this invitational. In addition, collegiate athletes from across the nation will be competing at this meet.
For complete results for the Bronco Distance Carnival go to bvtrack.com.